Monday, June 3, 2013

HEALTHY Deep Dish Cookie Pie


This recipe is going to SHOCK you!

I've been trying to eat better so I can drop a few pounds and improve my health. BUT I LOVE A WARM HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE!!! I have to get my cookie fix, so I searched and found this healthy alternative.

How can a deep dish cookie pie be healthy? BEANS! You might be skeptical, but just read it and try it! It will take the guilt out of your guilty pleasure!

Deep Dish Cookie Pie

Ingredients:

2 cans white beans or garbanzos (drained and rinsed) 
1 cup quick oats
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tbsp oil (canola, vegetable, or coconut)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar (I only used 1 cup) *see notes for sugar free
1 cup chocolate chips (maybe not truly healthy, but definitely yummy!)

Directions:

1. Blend all of the ingredients in a food processor,  except the chocolate chips. If you do not have a food processor, mash the beans as well as you can first, and then use a hand mixer or Bosch or Kitchen Aid (or something like it) to mix the batter. 

2. Mix in chips, and pour into an oiled pan. I used a deep dish pie pan, but you can use a small casserole dish, a springform pan, etc.  

3. Cook at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes. Let it cool for 10 minutes or so before cutting and removing from the pan. 

4. Serve with ice cream, chocolate syrup, nuts and whipped cream....or whatever your heart desires. YUM!

Notes: 
* If you want to go sugarless, you can omit the brown sugar and use 4 packets of Stevia, and/or 2 cups of pitted dates, blended up in a food processor. You might want to half the recipe and play around with it a bit to suit your tastes and dietary needs. This definitely has the potential to be an amazing treat that is gluten free and sugar free! I don't mind having a little sugar, and I thought it was great with 1 cup of brown sugar, but my children would have preferred it to be a little sweeter. I'm making it with dates next time!

Source: Chocolate Covered Katie





No comments:

Post a Comment