Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Rainbow Green Smoothie

We finally joined the green side of things and invested in a good blender.  Wow!  It makes a huge difference.  I am amazed at the smooth consistency.  I discovered though that there are limits to what my blender can do.  Unfortunately, it can't turn un-tasty healthy things into pure deliciousness.   Because everything the demonstrators make at Costco tastes delicious, I expected to be able to throw in whatever I wanted (it sure seems like they do that) and have it come out tasting like mint chocolate chip ice cream.  But I learned the hard way that a little bit of kale goes a long way. 

After some experimentation,  I came up with a smoothie that I really like and that is chalk full of good stuff.

Ingredients:
1 cup of water
1 handful of kale
2 handfuls of spinach
1 handful of pineapple
1 mango
5-6 large frozen strawberries
1 frozen banana
3-5 carrots (depending on size)
1 nice chunk of squash 
1/2 an avacado
1 apple
1 orange

1 handful of almonds
1 TBSP each of hemp, sesame, chia, and flax seeds

Directions:
-Add into the blender in the order listed and blend until smooth (mine has a pre-set smoothie setting)
-You can add a little ice if you want it colder and definitely add ice if your strawberries and banana aren't frozen.







No comments:

Post a Comment